For those of you who are just joining me this week, Amber started a weekly Extreme Makeover--Me Edition. If you would like to follow along head on over to her blog and link up. You'll find the rules there as well. This week started off pretty good. I decided it was time to get serious and no more excuses. No matter what. I didn't want anything to stand in my way of getting back on track with working out and losing weight. Whether it be sick children, a workaholic Dada or even a tired Mama. It didn't matter what the excuse was because I wasn't listening anymore. All excuses fell on deaf ears. Forcing myself to turn the lights out at 9 p.m. was especially hard when I was watching Dancing with the Stars on Monday night. I've been going to bed early so I won't have any reason to think I was too tired to get up and work out. Last night I didn't get to watch the results of DWTS. Going to bed early bums me out a little but I'm proud to say that I worked out six times since last Wednesday. My groove is back with working out in the mornings before any of the kids get up. Leaving for the gym at 4:45 a.m. is hard but getting easier by the day. Of course I have to give myself a little pep talk each morning to actually get my foot out of bed. It's been working so this is a good thing.
This morning I went to Weight Watchers to weigh in and my scale at home said I lost 1 lb. Weight Watchers' scale was a tad bit different stating I lost .4 lbs. It seems like I put in a whole lot of effort for that measly little bit of weight but I'll take it. That weight loss is comparable to more than 1 1/2 sticks of butter. It sounds much better when put that way! I have always thought slow and steady wins the race as far as losing weight goes. Didn't get to watch The Biggest Loser last night which is where I get a lot of my inspiration and motivation from. Thank goodness for DVR's!!
Amber's question of the week is "What are some methods you use to stave off temptation and/or keep from overeating?" I recently started chewing Extra sugarfree gum which is what Jillian Michaels, the trainer, on The Biggest Loser suggests. It helps but I don't like to chew gum so it might not work for me in the long run. If I see that I'm having too many Weight Watchers points in any one day I'll either check my blogs (which I do quite frequently!!) to try and divert my attention or look through recipes to start planning our family's dinner for next week. I try to talk myself out of eating something if I can as well. It works if you want it to. Sometimes I'll grab a microwave bag of popcorn. It gives me a lot to munch on. I'm a big snacker. That's one of my biggest problems. I bought some Weight Watchers candies today too. They're cappuccino cream and cherry flavored. Each whole pack is 1 point. Not sure how they taste but I'll let you know what the verdict is next week.
This morning I went to Weight Watchers to weigh in and my scale at home said I lost 1 lb. Weight Watchers' scale was a tad bit different stating I lost .4 lbs. It seems like I put in a whole lot of effort for that measly little bit of weight but I'll take it. That weight loss is comparable to more than 1 1/2 sticks of butter. It sounds much better when put that way! I have always thought slow and steady wins the race as far as losing weight goes. Didn't get to watch The Biggest Loser last night which is where I get a lot of my inspiration and motivation from. Thank goodness for DVR's!!
Amber's question of the week is "What are some methods you use to stave off temptation and/or keep from overeating?" I recently started chewing Extra sugarfree gum which is what Jillian Michaels, the trainer, on The Biggest Loser suggests. It helps but I don't like to chew gum so it might not work for me in the long run. If I see that I'm having too many Weight Watchers points in any one day I'll either check my blogs (which I do quite frequently!!) to try and divert my attention or look through recipes to start planning our family's dinner for next week. I try to talk myself out of eating something if I can as well. It works if you want it to. Sometimes I'll grab a microwave bag of popcorn. It gives me a lot to munch on. I'm a big snacker. That's one of my biggest problems. I bought some Weight Watchers candies today too. They're cappuccino cream and cherry flavored. Each whole pack is 1 point. Not sure how they taste but I'll let you know what the verdict is next week.
Here's a rundown of my week as far as everyday life goes with a little bit about weight loss or exercising thrown in here and there. Early Friday morning, I woke up with the stomach bug. I'm sure no one is surprised by this fact being that the boys had it for 2 weeks. Brady's finally back to normal but Kyle still has the icky bum. Mine was not the same mysterious virus. Whereas they were/are feeling just fine and dandy, I didn't feel well at all. Luckily it was a quick thing and didn't deter my thoughts from the focus and motivation of eating healthier and working out.
By Saturday morning I was back to normal. I took the boys to their first movie. A few years ago we tried this but ended up leaving before the previews were over. They were scared, screaming and crying. Here I thought we were going to have some wonderful bonding time. It took me a long time to muster up the courage to do that again. My town offers free movies on Saturday mornings for the kiddies. This was a win-win situation so I decided to give it another shot. We ended up seeing Wall-E. The boys loved it and although Kyle said he was scared and it was too loud I cuddled with him the entire time and he ended up being fine. They were happy. Once we got home he said he was just kidding about being scared. Um right, ok, of course you were. The movies weren't as loud as they normally are as the theatre turned the volume down specifically for the children. The boy listens to toontown and youtube with his earphones on and blares the music. It was nowhere near as loud as that! He's 6 so I cut him a break. :-)
Saturday night we went to dinner at Arthur's St. Moritz. My husband's birthday was yesterday so we went out for an early celebration. Last time we ate out it didn't go very well and I was a little apprehensive. Luckily this was a new day and everyone behaved smashingly. We had a really great time although the food wasn't very good. I enjoyed one glass of pinot grigio alone as my husband didn't feel like drinking. The company and atmosphere were perfect. So happy. My kids behaved the.whole.entire.day. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops!
On Sunday my parents came home from Florida after staying there all winter. I made a loin of pork with a rub they brought back from one of their retired friends. It was so tasty!!! I have no idea what was in it but I would love to find out. After dinner, my mom, the boys and I went to Blockbuster to rent some games. Somewhere between Sunday night and Monday morning at the gym, I lost my Am Ex card and driver's license. I turned my car and purse upside down and inside out but could not find them. I called Blockbuster and the YMCA. No honest citizen turned them in. I cancelled the credit card and went to the DMV to get another license yesterday. My Mom kindly offered to watch Peyton for me. So off I went with my InStyle magazine in hand prepared to sit and wait. Since it's the end of the month, I thought for sure I was going to be there for awhile. Much to my surprise and delight, there were more staff than patrons. I was in and out in 10-15 minutes. The ladies behind the counter laughed at me when they saw my magazine. They said I could sit there and read it anyway as they wouldn't throw me out until closing time at 4:30 p.m. The whole experience was easy peasy.
At dinner on Sunday, my Dad informed me that he kept a log of how many miles he walked since November. In 5 months he walked 500 miles. This wasn't even walking 7 days a week. Usually it was only 4 or 5 days. The man is almost 71 years old. He's such an inspiration. I'm so proud of him!! Makes me feel like a bit of a slacker but my only excuse is he has more free time than me. :-) See there it is...an excuse. I forgot, we'll have none of that here.
This post wouldn't be complete without pictures. These are some from a week or so ago. The weather was gorgeous so I decided to take the boys out for some action shots. They loved it. The first one is my favorite.

This next one looks like Kyle is pushing Brady off the rock but he's really not. Not this time anyway. :-)



It seems I was a bit wordy today. Hope you could follow it all. I'm so happy to be doing this weekly update as it keeps me honest and accountable. Have a great day!
Much love from NJ,



Good for you for doing so well with WW! I agree that "slow and steady wins the race". That's how my successful weight loss with WW always was. Probably after the baby is born I'll do it again, too!
ReplyDeleteTortoises we are, plugging along slowly, but surely, towards the finish line. Changes to lifestyle are key, and that takes time. People who drop it quickly tend to gain it back quickly.
ReplyDeleteKids behaving in public? So tell me, what's THAT like? I'd be having my two tested to make sure they weren't deathly ill if we managed a nice dinner at a restaurant.
You are so awesome. I am so impressed. I realize that slow and steady wins the race, but it is just so hard to accept! Good job.
ReplyDeleteI loved WW after I had my 3rd baby! Truth be told, it was the best shape I've been in in a long time!!
ReplyDeleteI always find a small loss is followed by a bigger loss the next week! So look forward to your next weigh-in, cause I know you'll kick some booty!!
Have a great week!!
Slow and steady weight loss is the way to go, and too keep it off.
ReplyDeleteI bet it was so nice to see your parents again!
When we take the kids out for a meal (and that's not very often!) It's always the eldest that acts up and the younger ones just copy him!
Free movies on a Sautrday morning for the kids is great ~ surprise surprise they don't do that here!
love,
Amanda x
Great job on being down! Wish I could say the same!
ReplyDeleteI love the pic's - way cute!
Xazmin
I love to chew gum! I go through about a pack a day of orbit sugar free gum! I accredit my healthy teeth to it... I don't take very good care of my teeth (or to my dentist's standards) yet have never had a cavity!
ReplyDeleteSuch cute pics!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go on your week!
Have a great day!
Tanielle
Congratulations on your loss! I definitely agree with slow and steady. Have a great week :)
ReplyDeleteLiz
WOW! I am so impressed that you are able to go to the gym at 4:45!!!!!!! AM!!!!!! Amazing!
ReplyDeleteMrs. Nurse Boy
Going to bed early is going to be the key for me too! I just can't get up in the morning if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the .4, I'll bet you'll see more result next week!
The Biggest Loser was great this week. Nicole is very motivating....I even kept the episode on my DVR so I can watch it again.
Congrats to you on getting up so early and working out. Your body is most likely in shock right now, and those pounds will start to move for you. you have inspired me...as well as your DAD. He is awesome.
ReplyDeletethe movie...good that you got through it...now they know it won't be scary. Right???
The biggest loser is very inspiring. I keep thinking I could do all that working out if I did not have all my other stuff to do each day...right? I have not seen any of them do laundry or dishes. :)
Take care, suz
Oh, love the pictures.
Stick with it ~ it does take time (a year in my case ha ha ) ~ but you will do it!
ReplyDeleteI have my 'before' pictures stuck on the fridge and believe me ~ that keeps temptation at bay !!!!!
I love the pictures ~ your children are gorgeous.
Love and big hugs Tab XXXXXXXX
You've been busy lately!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the DMV office was so quick - ours is a 'crapshoot' as well.... some days you go in there and it's an all day affair, and some days it's lickety-split!
Your Dad IS an inspiration! Good for him!
The pictures of the kids are adorable!
Keep up the great work with WW, and don't get frustrated by the small steps... remember that even the LONGEST journey is made up of single steps!
Yay for well behaved kids that sure makes life easier. Then you were also able to get through the DMV easypeasy. Sounds like things are going your way. Keep up the working out and WW, sounds like its working since you are giving off good karma and all.
ReplyDeleteHey congrats on your weight loss. Either amount should be applauded! Wow that is awesome about your Dad! You have a good attitude. I tend to make so many excuses...bad habits are leaving! Gotta to replace with the good!
ReplyDeleteHey thanks for stopping by. Yes I like The Biggest Loser workout. I haven't worked out in a while. If you have been exercising for a while and are in pretty good shape (you look like you are) you might want to try Jillian's Shred. The Biggest Loser workout has 3 phases. You do each phase for 2 weeks at a time. Phase 1: Bob, Phase 2: Jillian, and Phase 3: Kim. Phase 1 is 30 minutes (where I am at) and it will increase by either 10 or 15 minutes with each phase. Hope that helps. I am sore...especially in the booty area!
ReplyDeleteI need some inspiration to lose weight...lost it last year when I worked out with a personal trainer for a year and lost 8 whole pounds. Some hormonal issues were probably to blame, I have that on track now so maybe I;ll give it another try. Getting up at 4:45 good lord woman you are the woman, that takes such discipline I am so proud of you. Stay focused...your kids will definitely admire your fortitude and stick to it-ness. YOU ROCK!!
ReplyDeleteGum doesn't quite do it for me either.
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great! congrats!
Hi, this is Chickie from Twitter! My blog is www.iloveyoutopieces.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteGreat job this week. I missed the post so did not get linked up. I like you chewing gum idea. I do that too. I think it really works!
ReplyDeleteHave a super weekend!
XOXO
Jen
good for you...I think I could benefit from some self control, and doing things that take care of ME...it is hard, though.
ReplyDeleteplease keep the updates coming. They are inspiring.
It is very impressive that you're so dedicated to get up at the crack a** of dawn to work out...
ReplyDeleteFunny enough, my 6 year old was a big scared during Wall-E as well... she sat curled up in my lap for a good majority of the movie. I'm still trying to figure out what was so scary...