Sunday, April 19, 2009

Menu Plan Monday - Week of April 20-24, 2009



This week menu planning is back to normal. My husband came home late last night. He chose not to stick around to sightsee in LA or San Fran because of working long hours. He simply wanted to get back home. He mistakenly thought he was going to sleep in this morning. HA I'm sure all of you have already guessed that didn't happen. Brady woke at 5 a.m. so excited to see him. Kyle followed shortly thereafter. If Peyton could have gotten out of her crib she would've been right there with the boys. Luckily she has a crib tent. Woot woot to whomever invented that thing. It's saved me more times than I even know being that Kyle needed it when he was 9 months old. He kept peeping out his window at the golf course trying to climb out. I was afraid he would fall and get hurt. You can bet I quickly jumped on the Internet searching for the answer to that problem. I had hoped that girls would be different than boys but not so in our household. For this case anyway. Peyton actually fell on her head but luckily didn't get hurt. Incidentally, the boys never fell out of their cribs. The crib tent went on immediately the day she got loose. Here's a picture of one of the best baby inventions ever, in my opinion (or imo as Vanessa enlightened me). :-) The crib tent ruins the decor but safety first, style later.


Back to Menu Plan Monday. Tonight we're having loin of pork with a rub my parents brought back from Florida. I bought a 4 lb. loin of pork for $9 and froze half. We're having Rice Pilaf and some type of veggies with it. Probably green beans so Peyton will eat them. So that's $4.50 for the roast, $1.00 for the rice and $.99 for the green beans. We're using canned although my husband and I love fresh. The things we do for love. Tonight's meal will cost $6.49 for a family of 5. Not bad. By the way, I only buy good quality meat. I just happen to be able to find it at great prices. I bought a 10 lb. package of frozen Perdue chicken breasts at Costco awhile back which lasted us for a month or so. Next time I get another bag I'll have to figure out how many pieces are in the package and calculate what each breast costs. Mere pennies I suppose. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might get Peyton to eat what we're eating? She 28+ months old and she's getting a bit too old not to be eating what we do. I offer her what we're having every night but to no avail. She acts like we're trying to poison her. I'm at a loss at the moment. I'm aware it won't stay this way forever but sometimes I wonder how she's surviving.

Here's what this week's menu looks like for us. It's already been revised due to our ever-changing schedule.

Monday: Chicken Piccata

Tuesday: Baked French Toast

Wednesday: Crispy Baked Chicken or Crunchy Chicken Casserole (haven't decided yet)

Thursday: Panko breaded boneless pork chops

Friday: Turkey burgers

On a completely different subject, earlier this afternoon I took Kyle to get cleats for t-ball. He was fooling around the entire time we were in Dick's Sporting Goods. So what else is new, right? While walking out of the store he was still goofing off and tripped me. Yes I said tripped me. His feet somehow got tangled in mine and I fell flat on the pavement. My packages and purse went flying. I was afraid I ripped the knee of my Lucky jeans but thankfully didn't. Only a skinned knee underneath which I'm icing at the moment. I ended up getting annoyed with him because after telling him sixty bazillion times to quit goofing around and watch where he was walking. His listening ears weren't on. I didn't yell or scream but my tone said it all. I guess I blew the Mother of the Year award again. Shucks. Six weeks earlier Peyton tripped me in the parking lot of Carter's and I tried everything possible to avoid falling on her. She has this habit of putting her head down trying to look at the ground while walking. I missed her completely but ended up hurting my backside in the process. That and my pride. Do you think it's Brady's turn next? I'll be ready for him this time. I think my kids are trying to kill me. My knee really hurts and I can't stop worrying that I won't be able to work out tomorrow. My thought for today is that falling on pavement hurts. I know Melinda will get a kick out of this as she's been known to fall in the supermarket a time or two. :-)

Much love from NJ,






14 comments:

  1. Props to you for doing these meal planning things! I need to jump on that. I guess I'm pretty aware of what we spend, but it'd be interesting to track how much each meal costs and maybe try to get it lower. I am tempted to say 'just for fun', but if I admitted that I was calling meal planning and grocery shopping 'fun' I'd have to shoot myself. lol.

    I am SO sorry that you fell! That is horrible! And no, you did NOT blow mother of the year award, you silly thing!!! Most people WOULD yell. Using 'a tone' is perfectly normal. Believe me, I would have too! I hope it gets better, but you better not push it tomorrow. You don't want to cause more problems. Look at me being all bossy!!

    I'm so glad that your hubby is back. I kept thinking about you, hoping you were keeping your sanity. :)

    Have a great day!

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised you Lucky jeans didn't rip. I have to switch brands - I always wear Lucky, but they're so washed/distressed? that they rip across the knees within months.

    And that crib tent? Why did I never think of getting one of those??? Oh well too late now. I JUSt dismantled the twins' cribs this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the menu planning. I really should start that.

    You were asking for suggestions about getting your little girl to eat what you are eating. I have a 25 month old, and our rule is that she eats what we eat too. If she has never tried something and she tries it and doesn't like it we will sometimes fix her something else (or if we are having something too spicy or meat that is a little tougher for her to chew.)

    I try to put her food on a plate that she likes. I let her feed herself (by herself) as much as possible so that she feels like a big girl.

    We have started the rule that if she doesn't eat what we are eating she does not get to watch her evening cartoon OR get dessert.

    Sometimes just simply asking her if she wants the cookie or ice cream (if we happen to be having dessert that night) is enough to convince her to eat the food.

    We're still working on this too, but those things are helping us.

    Hopefully it's somewhat helpful to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hope your knee feels better quickly! What a bummer. And believe me, I would have been yelling, so you still are up for Mom of the Year :-)

    Regarding your daughter and dinner - our 3rd is now 2-1/2 and I swear she is surviving on lunch. Oh, and meat. and bread. no veggies, ever. and of the four, she was the BEST eater as a baby. I'd say it's a phase and just keeping putting your family dinner in front of her, she'll get the picture eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your menu for this week....I will let you know which night I will be available to come over. ;) I love the art of feeding the family for mere dollars also...I am getting better at my costo and grocery coupons/sales. IT does help with that big bill.
    Feeding a picky toddler? ughhh...what fun. I suppose if she does not want to eat the dinner you make, then she is not really hungry. She will survive. No one ever died missing a meal. Just don't let her get into the habit of having a special meal...this was an issue for me for years and it took sooo long to break them of the wanting only nuggets, noodles or cheese!!! I only make them something different if I make fish. (I did not eat fish until I was 35!)
    Glad the hubby made it back home. I bet that is a relief. I never needed a tent for the cribs....but it looks like a great life saver!
    About you shopping with the kids....I have 3 ideas for you:
    Helmet. Knee pads. Elbow pads.
    Hope you feel better. Suz

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dragon is about the same age as Peyton and if he doesnt eat his dinner (he has to at least taste all the bits) he doesnt get dessert. We've been doing that for a while for him but Lion, being the first, was older before he came under those rules. Sometimes dessert is just a couple of squares of chocolate sometimes its custard or icecream or pudding or tinned fruit.

    Get some Arnica cream for your knee! It'll help with the pain and stop it bruising as much. I love the stuff. I keep a small container of arnica tablets in my bag all the time with such injury prone boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good! The crib tent looks amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry you fell, I fall all the time but on my own, no help! on another note, I am excited to see your photos, and hear the things you learn from your photo workshop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it with kids always getting in the way? Riley is almost 8 and still 'almost' trips me all the time...we have the constant conversation about walking BESIDE me not in front of me lol. I hope the knee feels better soon.

    As for your picky little girl...have you tried using dips? I know it might sound gross to you but Riley dips everything in either ketchup or ranch...and because of the dips he'll eat anything I put in front of him, and he's always been that way. Sure he may be 25 and still need 'dip' but what do I care? At least he's eating healthy now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooch.
    yummy ... baked french toast? mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your menu looks great! I love getting a good deal on meat and tend to stock up until you can't get another thing in my freezer...like right now. I have a bunch of chicken that needs weighed and put in bags but I have no room for it.

    I wish we had heard about the crib tent. We just bought the boy (it's his birthday today) a big boy bed because he was escaping...and he won't sleep in it.

    Have a great week! And be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your weekly menu is looking good.
    I guess i would suggest serving Peyton what you guys are all having and not make a big deal about it if she won't eat it.

    Hope your knee is ok in the morning. Ouch and how embarrasing!!

    l,
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to start doing a menu plan on paper! My head just carries around too much junk to sort it all out :)

    With 4 kids, I am always tripping over someone. Sometimes I'm patient, but more often than not I'm annoyed and will use a tone!

    My hubby and I tend to be old fashioned and with all our children made sure they ate everything I gave them or no "story" time, treat, tv, movie...whatever the activity of the night was going to be.

    They soon learned to eat all their veggies and dinner. I just can't afford the time and effort to make seperate meals for different tastes (which they all have). We all learned to be thankful that we even have a good meal every night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes! I get it! At least someone else tripped you and you didn't trip your own self!! That requires a whole different level of talent darling. And the mother of the year award? You can sit next to me in the not nominated section.

    That baked french toast sounds divine. Must have recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say because I'd love to hear it!! I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment. Comments make my day!!