Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Extreme Makeover--Me Edition Week 1



This week I started following along with Amber for her Extreme Makeover--Me Edition. It's week 1 and she's trying to get healthier and drop a few pounds which is exactly what I want to do. There are a few rules to this gig which are as follows: every Wednesday you should do a specific post on your blog in regard to Extreme Makeover--Me Edition. Update her on your progress. How did your week go? Did you struggle? How were you successful? Do you have any great tips? Along with that, feel free to answer the specific question or topic that she poses each week. After you've finished your post, view that specific post {either view your blog & click on the title of that post, or go 'edit posts' and 'view'}. Grab the url and post it into her Mr. Linky which is at the bottom of current post. If you want to follow along head on over and link up.

Here's my update. I went to Weight Watchers this morning to get weighed in. Last week was a bit of a disappointment because I did everything correctly and gained .6 lbs. So this week I buckled down even harder and it finally paid off. I lost 1.6 lbs. Whewww!! I have a renewed spring in my step which is exactly what I needed. I'm determined to drop some weight and I won't be discouraged. Not even by sick children!!

This week has been a struggle since the boys have a mysterious virus which means they're acting completely fine but have the runs. They've been up in the night. Not too much but it's that whole still wiping their bum thing that's the problem. Instead of just waiting on the potty and calling for me to come to the rescue they jump up off and get it all over the place. And I do mean all over the place. Do any of your kids have this? We're on day 8 and wondering how much longer this can last. Peyton's still recovering from her ear infection and upper respiratory infection as well and has been up a few nights yelling the house down. All of this makes for a tired week which in turn makes it harder to concentrate on eating well and exercising. It's more difficult than I had ever imagined being a Mom and trying to concentrate on yourself. I'm all about finding that balance. I had this game down pat back when I had 2 kids. Not so much after the third. Needless to say, it's been an icky week around here and I think I exercised 2-3x. So in case you were wondering if my life was all sunshine and rainbows, it isn't. :-)

Amber's question for this week is - Do you have any low calorie snacks that you'd like to share? One of my favorites is the Hostess 100 Calorie Pack Cinnamon Streusel Mini Muffins. Although they're 100 calories they have 5 grams of fiber. Weight Watchers is all about the fiber. The more fiber you have in a food, the less the points value. While most 100 calorie pack snacks are 2 points. This little gem is only 1 point. You get 3 mini muffins for 1 point. You can't beat that! Hostess also makes mini cupcakes which are delicious. The carrot cake is not good. It tasted like chemicals to me. I won't endure that even for a 1 point snack thank you very much.

Another snack that I love is the Weight Watchers Chocolate Chip Cookies and Brownies. The cookies are 1 point and the brownies are 2 points. They're both soooo yummy!! I've been doing Weight Watchers for so long now (since 1997) and pretty much know what the points value is of almost any food. When I was working, my firm had a Weight Watchers weekly meeting. My coworkers used to call or e-mail me asking what a points value for any given food was because they knew I knew it off the top of my head. It was really funny. One would think since I know it so well that I wouldn't need to still be losing weight. Last October one of the leaders at WW strongly encouraged me to up my goal weight which I was only 2-3 pounds away from. So I agreed. Another leader piped in that this might actually work against me. Boy was she right, it did. Since October I threw caution to the wind and kind of stopped counting WW points. I had a ball and ate anything and everything my little heart desired whenever I wanted to. It wasn't until early December when it finally started to catch up with me. By the time January rolled around I had gained 10 lbs. I was so disappointed but what did I expect. Next time I will listen to my gut. I knew it was the wrong decision for me but it's a lesson learned. That's for sure.

I started menu planning my dinners last week. This is the second week and it's going great. It's so much easier to plan out the menu. All I have to do is look at the list to know what I'm making for dinner that night. So much less anxiety. It was a little crazy at first making sure I had all of the ingredients on hand. It made for 3 trips to the store instead of 1. Now I've figured it all out and we're rolling right along.

I hope everyone is having a great week. Looking forward to next Wednesday!

Much love from NJ,

21 comments:

  1. congrats on losing weight! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the weight loss Sue! That's awesome! I was the same way with WW. I got overly confident when I dropped all the weight, and I gave myself a little slack, then a little more, and the weight just crept back on. I'll have to try those muffins & the cookies & brownies. I forgot about the muffins when I was at the store the other day. But I only look in the snack area, are they in a bakery area? I never see them.

    I think you look great!!

    Oh ya, so sorry about the boys & their poopy problem! That's icky that they get down & get it everywhere. I GUESS you've been busy!! Geez, poor girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 lbs to lose to get to my target weight. It seems to me that to lose those remaining pounds are the hardest! I have now lost 49 lbs so far.

    Well done with your weight loss ~ you are looking great.

    And hey, i have 4 boys and a big stinky husband. I know all about dirty toilets and the mess that boys leave behind!


    Love,
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the weight loss...also I'm sorry your family has been sick - I hope everyone is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, losing weight,planning menus. I need to follow in your footsteps. NOT so much on the kids with the runs though....have you tried bananas? rice?
    I bet they are a mess....and messy.
    I hope it all gets better soon so you can focus on YOU!!!
    Take care, suz

    Oh my gosh...the red lipstick story was a hoot. I bet you were not invited much after that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job!!! Hope everyone is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the 1.6 pounds!

    I am trying to make myself go to bed by 10pm because if I don't, I can't get up and exercise. I don't know what I am going to do when my kids are getting up in the middle of the night to use the potty!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done with your weight loss ~ that is great!
    I know that losing weight can be hard ~ I am so close to goal now ~ but it just gets harder ha ha !!
    I will have to think of some low fat ~ low cal snacks that I like and will e mail them to you.
    I have my weigh in on a Wednesday, so that fits in with this too ~ I will come and check in with you each week and see how you are doing,
    Take care ~ love and big hugs Tabitha XXXX

    PS ~ You look great in the pictures on the blog ~ XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT?!?! You think YOU need an extreme makeover? I think not! That is a beautiful "before" photo. You are supposed to skip the shower, hairbrush, makeup, and slump over and let it all hang out.

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're gorgeous and don't need to lose an ounce of weight. In fact, if they say the camera adds 10 pounds... um.. look at you... you could probably stand to gain a few. :)

    Whatever ends up working for you, let me know. I'll be needing to drop weight fairly quickly after the baby as I have a wedding 7 weeks out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't the poo flinging everywhere for 8 days put you off your mini muffins? I agree with Mrs NB I think you need to take a new "before" shot. Wait till you're feeling your ickiest and wearing your daggiest clothes until you take it then all you need to do is scrub up a bit and you'll look like you've been working hard for weeks! It's not cheating, we'll just call it giving yourself a leg-up.

    All this food talk has made me need to eat... I am bad at this, really bad.

    Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to lose weight too. So far, in one year, I've only lost 15 pounds. But I have kept it off, which makes me proud.

    I do the Turbo Jam 20 min. cardio routine. Quick, intense... perfect for a busy Mom. Another good snack I've discovered keeps me full, is a bowl of Fiber One raisin bran! Snacking is a big issue for me, so anything that fills me up for fewer calories is a plus! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have got to get on the bandwagon with this one. The exercise is so the hardest part. I can't make myself get up early in the morning and in the evening after the kids go to bed, I'm trashed. I have got to find something that works for me or I'm doomed! Good for you for getting started. I really just need to commit I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, you are totally inspiring me. I have been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for the last year and a half {since Lizzy was born}. I need to follow your lead :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go!!! Seriously! It just feels better, doesn't it?! Whoot!! Whoot!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Congrats on the weight loss! You did awesome this week. :-)

    And I hope all the sickies in your house have started to feel better???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found your blog and just wanted to say hi. Come visit me when you can, I have 7 blogs waiting visitors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great progress! I've done WW before - and I remember how frustrating those inexplicable 1/2 pound gains could be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there! Good job on your 1.6 pounds. That is so great! I hope your kids are feeling better this week!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. good job you!
    we are finally over that virus thingy!
    ugh. i totally understand the feeling oh-so-fine and runs at the same time?
    too bad a playdate to catch it wasn't involved! i'd love to meet you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! This is wonderful! You should be VERY proud of yourself! Losing weight is SUCH a challenge. WW is a very good program. Evey though it comes off somewhat slow, it comes off in a HEALTHY manner, and STAYS off. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say because I'd love to hear it!! I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment. Comments make my day!!