Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Extreme Makeover--Me Edition Weekly Update #4





In case you're tuning in for the first time today, Amber started an Extreme Makeover-Me Edition. This is week # 4. She rounded up a bunch of girls to try to inspire all of us to get healthy, start exercising and perhaps loose a couple of pounds. It's been going pretty well for everyone. Of course we're all having our ups and downs but that's to be expected. I've met a lot of really nice girls through this challenge. They're all very sweet and supportive. If you would like to join us, head on over to her site.

This week has been pretty good as far as exercising. I worked out 5x this week. It's been challenging because my hubby left for a business trip which means I can't get to the gym in the wee hours of the morning. You're probably thinking it's rough going at 5 a.m. but getting out of bed is the hardest part. After that it's all down hill from there. The Easter candy is what's been torturing me this week. Kyle's school had a Gertrude Hawk candy sale which was delivered just in time for Easter. I forgot I bought a bunch of that and then proceeded to buy enough candy to fill four Easter baskets. Only I don't have four children (That was my first mistake). My hubby ended up getting a basket too. I've been left here with the chocolate staring me down every minute of every day. All alone to devour it by myself. He's usually the chocoholic and grazes all night long. I made the mistake of filling plastic Easter eggs with loose candy for the egg hunt which included all of my favorites. (That was my second mistake.) When it came time to empty the baskets to be put away until next year, I dumped all of the loose candy into a ziploc bag. (That was my third mistake.) It turns out it's great for reaching your hand right in there and taking a piece here and there and everywhere. (That being the fourth and worst mistake of all.) I've locked myself upstairs at night so as not to come down to snack some more. The loose candy isn't even the half of it. There are a couple boxes of chocolate from the candy sale, chocolate bunnies, Reese's pieces, Cadbury mini eggs, Dove dark chocolate foiled mini eggs, peeps, m&m's, Hershey's kisses, jellybeans, and various candy from the kids' baskets from other family members. The list just keeps on going. Oy! If I don't gain any weight this week it will be a miracle. I had 16-17 activity points so hopefully that will offset something. (This was written on Tuesday night in advance of tomorrow's weigh-in.)

Amber's question of the week is:

What are you going to do this week to get yourself back on track??

~Eat healthy
~Limit unhealthy snacks--especially chocolate
~Drink a ton of water
~Do Denise Austin's Hit the Spot Core Complete DVD 3x

~Get to the gym 2x before my hubby returns

~MAKE BETTER CHOICES


The pictures above are from the Turtleback Zoo. We went on Monday. This week my kids have Spring Break and we need to keep busy. The zoo was so cold the penguins and otters wouldn't even come out. That's saying a lot!! We still had a great time though.

I just got back from WW and the weigh-in went as expected. Gained .8 lbs. That's more than I've lost in the past 2 weeks. It made me angry but now I'm more determined to stick with the program. WW works but you have to stick with it. So I put my car on autopilot and headed to the gym. Took a yoga class and then worked out afterwards. It wasn't planned but the gym was packed due to Spring Break. The people were filtered out after the class so it was easier to work out.

Once I got home, I took all of the chocolate except for the loose ziploc bag of goodies and put it all in our extra refrigerator we have in the garage. My Mom is babysitting tonight so I'll have her take some of the loose stuff for her house. Then I'll zip it up and put it out of sight. It helps when I don't see it. So this is my plan for the week. Out of sight out of mind.
I hope all of you had a decent week. It was especially hard with the Easter candy and holiday celebrations but there is always next week so don't lose faith girls!!

Good luck in the coming week!

Much love from NJ,



21 comments:

  1. You look great! I want to look that good when I'm 42! Better get with it! Easter candy has been calling me too! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .8 isn't that bad considering what all is in our houses this week. I'm so proud of you for getting to the gym while your husband is gone. I have a hard time sticking to my routine when mine is gone.

    Have a great week and keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, out of sight out of mind, I always say! :) I have a hard time *not* eating it if it's in my house, so get it on outta there :)

    .8 pounds isn't bad at all considering the holiday. Here's to a great coming week!

    *Oh, by the way I still cannot open Amber's blog either, so I finally switched to Firefox vs. Internet explorer today. Works like a charm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrr...that blasted chocolate. I KNOW I have had more than my fair share. I'll be avoiding all scales this week, thankyouverymuch!

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't beat yourself up...it is hard when you have a sweet tooth!!! You will do better next week. When your hubby gets home, he can take care of the temptation for you. :)
    I feel kinda the same this week...all that Easter candy..the good news is, it is almost ALL gone. The bad news is I ate most of it!

    Love the zoo pictures....and the fact that it is still cold there. (poor penguins)
    It is already summer weather here...the a/c is running 24/7 and the pool is already warming up w/ the sun...I think the kids will be in it this weekend.
    Take care, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup! New day and week. Keep it going, Sue!!! You're doing fantastic!!

    xoxo ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you look great too!
    Keep going ~ weight loss and fitness are always an ongoing battle ha ha !
    Love and big hugs Tab XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sue! You are so cute! You sound exactly like me. There is so much candy floating around here. I am grazing on it all day long. Next year I am buying only candy I hate. Good plan, huh?

    And good for you for working out 5 times!!! I really need to get myself motivated to do that!

    Good luck this week my friend!

    XOXO
    'Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, now I have to go and inhale some chocolate after all that choco-chit-chat. I don't even know what some of them are but I still want to eat them. Sweet tooth, what are you doing to me????????

    Good luck with the turn around this week, I know you can do it. You have determination, I think that counts for so much in the weight-loss game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, the cadbury mini eggs! I LOVE them (sigh) I actually put way too much candy in the kids' baskets b/c I didn't want it in a bowl tempting me; of course, I'm still snacking! I'm with you on the .8 up and .8 down, it's frustrating. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's sad when we start to dread holiday festivities due to our own lack of will power isn't it?

    It's so great to have this support group though! Great plan, I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on sticking with your exercise!! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I think you look FABULOUS! So don't beat yourself up over .8 pounds! That's about how much I gained this week, and I'm thinking .8 is better than 2. :)

    I also love those cadbury mini eggs! We didn't get any this year. :)

    Love those pictures. I was thinking that it looked VERY cold there based on those pics. I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish you were in Cali this week! We'd have so much fun, and you'd be floored by the weather. Although, it's been VERY windy here, as I'm sure your husband's told you, especially if he was in San Fran first. My parents were there yesterday. And on the news I saw that they had 60mph winds. Our cat had kittens, and I have them in a huge box on our front porch. When I came home yesterday, the box was blown half way off, the water spilled, and the kittens were all scrunched down in the corner. The mama was just sitting nearby panicked. :( So sad!

    I keep thinking of you with your husband being gone, and wondering how you're holding up. It's no fun being a single mama. But it seems like your mom is helping out, which I'm sure is wonderful.

    Here's to a better week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did awesome with the exercising!!! That darn candy though...why does it have to be so good? Love your goals! Great plan!

    Have a wonderful night!

    Tanielle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey I gained 2 pounds this week too!! :)

    I have a MAJOR sweet tooth - and I eat WAY too much crap all the time. I would have a very tough time leaving the candy alone... I snack whenever I get a chance (pregnant or not!).

    I'm still impressed that you're able to get to the gym as often as you do. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look great!
    Easter, Halloween and Christmas time are horrible times to be on a diet.
    I'm trying to stay away from all the chocolate the kids got and let me tell you it isn't easy!
    I keep telling myself that it isn't fair to them if i start "stealing" bits of their chocolate here and there.

    The theory of losing weight and getting fit is so easy ~ but sticking with it is not!

    You are doing great.

    love,
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish we had a zoo. The nearest one is 3 hours away.

    I caved on some Hershey's kisses yesterday. 8 of them to be exact. So frustrating. Hours of working out ruined by mere moments of chocolate indulgence.

    At least it wasn't MORE of a gain... the working out did help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute blog you've got here!

    Don't beat yourself up...you are better than me in that you stuck to exercising...me, I just acted like a pig and forgot to workout lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First - cuuuuuuute kiddos! Second, I've learned I should just go ahead and buy what I like for Easter baskets and to give out at Halloween. I used to try to buy candy that I didn't like, so I wouldn't be tempted. The only lesson learned was that I like waaaay more candy than I thoughtI did. I will eat crap candy if good candy isn't available. Oh, the shame.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just wanted to say hi. I found your blog through Liz's. I love comments too, so I try to leave them for people. :) I share your love for candy, in fact, I'm eating some right now...should be doing sit-ups instead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck with everything! I find that doing stuff like that in groups is usually pretty effective. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say because I'd love to hear it!! I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment. Comments make my day!!