
Here's a recipe for my family's favorite homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs. I know some people call it spaghetti sauce and others call it gravy. I grew up calling it sauce. My husband, who is Italian calls it gravy. No matter what you call it, it's just yummy. I surely don't claim to be on the FoodNetwork, although I watched it for many hours while pregnant. I had to have weekly and biweekly IV medicine (which had to be administered slowly over the course of many hours) due to a rare pregnancy-related illness to help my 3 little miracles survive in utero. But that's a post for another day. I've been experimenting with cooking for quite a few years now and if my husband loves this, then you can bet it's pretty good. At least decent anyway! :) My mother-in-law is Italian and she can make dirt taste amazing. I haven't learned how to do that yet but I've been paying very close attention to what she prepares and how she prepares it. My parents, my sister and her husband, my friends and family just love this so hopefully you will too.
Spaghetti Sauce/Gravy ingredients:
2-3 TB olive oil
1/3 of a large onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 - 28 oz. can tomato puree
2 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
1/4 tsp. basil (dried)
1/4 tsp. oregano leaves (dried)
1/4 tsp. sweet basil (dried)
1/4 tsp. parsley flakes (dried)
Salt to taste
(I've used fresh spices but I don't know the exact measurements for those - sorry)
Meatballs:
1 pkg (2 lbs.) ground veal/pork/beef
2-3 large eggs (depending on how much ground meat- for 1 lb. I use 2 eggs for 2 lbs. I use 3)
1 generous handful grated parmesan or romano cheese
1 generous handful Italian bread crumbs
pinch of salt, pepper and parsley
(I try to get the consistancy to be moist and a bit slippery, not sticky)
1 pkg boneless pork ribs (optional)
1 pkg. sweet italian or spicy sausage (optional)
Saute chopped onion, bayleaf, basil, sweet basil, oregano, parsley and olive oil over medium heat until onions are soft. I add the garlic at the last minute so as not to burn it. If you're adding ribs or sausage, brown them next. Add the can of tomato puree and one can of water then bring to a boil. Next, add 1/2 cup soy sauce then bring to another boil. Add 2 cans of tomato paste and 1 can of water. Bring to a boil one more time and add salt to taste. (I add a wooden spoon full. You can use more or less for your own taste.) Gently add the meatballs and simmer on medium or low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Serve over your favorite pasta and voila you have dinner for a couple of nights.
Spaghetti Sauce/Gravy ingredients:
2-3 TB olive oil
1/3 of a large onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 - 28 oz. can tomato puree
2 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
1/4 tsp. basil (dried)
1/4 tsp. oregano leaves (dried)
1/4 tsp. sweet basil (dried)
1/4 tsp. parsley flakes (dried)
Salt to taste
(I've used fresh spices but I don't know the exact measurements for those - sorry)
Meatballs:
1 pkg (2 lbs.) ground veal/pork/beef
2-3 large eggs (depending on how much ground meat- for 1 lb. I use 2 eggs for 2 lbs. I use 3)
1 generous handful grated parmesan or romano cheese
1 generous handful Italian bread crumbs
pinch of salt, pepper and parsley
(I try to get the consistancy to be moist and a bit slippery, not sticky)
1 pkg boneless pork ribs (optional)
1 pkg. sweet italian or spicy sausage (optional)
Saute chopped onion, bayleaf, basil, sweet basil, oregano, parsley and olive oil over medium heat until onions are soft. I add the garlic at the last minute so as not to burn it. If you're adding ribs or sausage, brown them next. Add the can of tomato puree and one can of water then bring to a boil. Next, add 1/2 cup soy sauce then bring to another boil. Add 2 cans of tomato paste and 1 can of water. Bring to a boil one more time and add salt to taste. (I add a wooden spoon full. You can use more or less for your own taste.) Gently add the meatballs and simmer on medium or low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Serve over your favorite pasta and voila you have dinner for a couple of nights.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
I had to throw in a picture with this post. Here's a picture from Christmas Eve. Still trying to get that perfect family shot. My middle child, Mr. Chips (on the left) is pretending to sleep and Calamity Jane is not happy unless she's moving full speed ahead running 100 mph. (As I type this she's running circles around the island in my kitchen. ) If I could have just half of her energy I would be good.
Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo


Sounds yummy! Unfortunately, I'm a convenience cooker, so I always use Prego. And frozen meatballs. :) Still yum, but I've been wanting to make sauce from scratch. So when I do, I'll use this recipe! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAnd for encouraging me to post a recipe. I took pictures on Tuesday of my version of Beef Stroganoff, but I have yet to post it. I think I will now! :)
Love the picture. So real life. You should see our outtakes from Chrismtas pictures, lol.
Can't wait to make that. Sounds heavenly. Always wanted to make a homemade sauce and by golly I'm going to do it now. Thanks Sue. Your picture is priceless!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds yummy. I just might have to try that one. Thanks so much for all the advice. I think that I will go look for that cheese. Seth gets so excited about pizza without any cheese on it so this should make it even better.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like one of our family photos!!!
ReplyDeleteI MUST make the spaghetti sauce! Sounds wonderful! My mother is italian. She, too, can make dirt taste delicious! No recipes. She adds a little of this and a little of that... It makes it a little difficult to learn from her. Try as I might, I am just not as good of a cook as her.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Nurse Boy
That sounds great ~ we all love pasta and pasta sauce in our home. We call it sauce by the way LOL!!
ReplyDeletelove,
Amanda x
i'm sorry ... but i couldn't even read the post.
ReplyDeletei have had an aversion to spaghetti with tomatoey sauce every since i was pregnant last time.
writing that even makes me want to lose it.
ugh.
gotta go.
I am the worlds most useless cook ha ha !!
ReplyDeleteHowever ~ I have a daughter who adores pasta and sauce ~ and meatballs for that matter!!
I may just have to copy this and give it a try!
Love the photo ~ your kids are so sweet!
Love and big hugs Tabitha XXXX
This looks FABULOUS!!!!
ReplyDelete