Friday, February 20, 2009

Lemon Parmesan-Crusted Chicken





This picture has nothing to do with the recipe. I didn't want to post without one. So of course I chose little missy. There was something on the camera lens that made part of it blurry but it was the day we released the pink balloons for Ava so it's special to me.

This recipe is one of the easiest and tastiest. It doesn't require any cooking talent whatsoever. Trust me on this.

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 3/4 lb.)
3/4 cup Progresso Parmesan bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 egg, beaten
2 TB+ butter or margarine, melted
1/4 tsp. salt

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray shallow baking pan with cooking spray.

2. In shallow dish, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, lemon peel and salt. Dip chicken into egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Place in pan. Drizzle with melted butter.

3. Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until done depending on the thickness of the chicken. The juices should run clear. (I use thin, boneless skinless chicken breasts and it takes about 10-12 minutes to cook.)

If you can't find the Parmesan bread crumbs at the store I have substituted the Italian kind and it works just as well. This really is one of my favorite recipes and it's very tasty.

My youngest son is allergic to milk and can't have milk, cheese or butter so I put his chicken in a little foil boat on the baking pan so none of the other pieces touch his. I use salt free breadcrumbs as they're the only kind that doesn't have milk (that I've found so far). I substitute Earth Balance Soy Garden natural buttery spread for the butter/margarine and Veggie Slices grated Parmesan flavor cheese for the Parmesan cheese. This last part has nothing to do with the original recipe. I included it for Rachel from Four Cute Kids and Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug because her son Seth has a milk allergy too. :-) It's hard to find recipes that I can incorporate the soy ingredients in separately. For me anyway. This limits what we have for dinner. It drives me a little batty sometimes but then I think of my son who can't have certain foods like the rest of the family or his friends. He handles it really well but he's only 4 and it must make him feel terrible when he can't eat certain treats like other kids. We went to my friend's house for a playdate the other day and she had vanilla Oreos which are milk free. His little face lit up just at the mere fact that he could eat what the rest of the kids were eating. He felt like part of the group. Made me sooo happy. Vanilla oreos. Thank you Nabisco for making a milk-free cookie!!

I hope you enjoy the recipe. You won't be disappointed.

Much love from NJ,
Suz
xoxo

I found this recipe on the back of the Progresso Parmesan Bread Crumbs container. What a great surprise!!

9 comments:

  1. Wow easy and sounds yummy. I am always looking for something new and easy for chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am printing and will be making it next week. I just stock piled Chicken breasts as they were on sale earlier this week. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy ~ I will have to give this a try!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love and hugs Tabitha XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Poor little baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just the best for including all that extra info for me! Thank you so much. It is so hard for a 1 year old to understand why he just can't have what everyone else is having. But you know that. I really appreciate this. And I do have a facebook account. I would love to be your friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure does sound tasty and easy to cook. I do a simular crumb with chicked tenderlions. I have a friend who's grandaughter was diagosed with type one diabetes at age two and always think how hard it is for a child to miss out. I had not thought about children having a total milk allergy as well. You are such a great Mum to make special food for your darling son.
    Love and hugs XXXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  7. A recipe with chicken?! I am so giving this one a try!

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I found your blog on another one - and thanks for the recipe. Sounds really good -and I am always looking for something else to do with chicken!! I think I will try it today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummo ~ that sounds good. My little vego wouldn't eat it but her Mummy would :)

    x

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say because I'd love to hear it!! I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to comment. Comments make my day!!